“These yummy falafel are easy to make and taste sublime with the zingy lime, tahini and chilli slaw. Here I’ve served them on warm flatbreads spread with humous. You could stuff them into pitta bread or just dip them directly into some chilli sauce as a snack”
SERVES: 4 PREP TIME: 10 MINS COOKING TIME: 15 MINS
For the falafel:
pot of aromatic peas with perks
80g breadcrumbs or porridge oats or Novo Farina pea crumb
30g sunflower seeds
1 tsp harissa paste
Handful chopped parsley or coriander
1 tblsp flaxseeds mixed with 3 tblsp water (egg substitute)
For the slaw and dressing:
1/4 red cabbage, thinly sliced
1 large carrot, grated
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 lime, squeezed
1 heaped tsp tahini
1 tsp chilli sauce
1 tsp cider apple vinegar
1 tblsp oil
1 tsp maple syrup
1 tsp Worcester sauce (vegan)
- Preheat the oven to 220C/200C fan/Gas Mark 6.
- Firstly prepare the flaxseed mix and leave for 5 mins.
- Mix all the falafel ingredients together, mashing the peas slightly as you go. Stir in the flaxseed mix.
- Take heaped teaspoons of the mixture and roll into balls about the size of a golf ball. Flatten slightly.
- Place on an oiled baking sheet. Oil the tops and sides of the falafel.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 mins.
- Meanwhile make the slaw. Combine all the dressing ingredients then season with salt and pepper. Stir the dressing through the sliced cabbage, carrot and onion.