“Serve these scrummy beanballs on top of pasta with a simple tomato sauce and you have yourself a complete protein meal. Alternatively serve them hot or cold in pitta breads stuffed with slaw and chilli sauce. If you want to make them gluten-free check out Novo Farina. They make these amazing crumbs from pea flour which result in these gorgeous light textured beanballs.”
SERVES: 4 PREP TIME: 15 MINS COOKING TIME: 15 MINS
For the beanballs:
1 pot of baked beans with benefits
100g Novo Farina pea crumb (use breadcrumbs or rolled porridge oats instead)
1 heaped tblsp pea flour (or plain flour)
20g sunflower seeds
20g vegan cheese, grated (or parmesan cheese)
1 tblsp yeast flakes (such as Engevita)
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
For the tomato pasta sauce:
1 tblsp oil
1 clove garlic, chopped
400g tin tomatoes
1 tsp powdered stock
1/2 tsp sugar
To make the beanballs:
- Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan/Gas Mark 6.
- Place the beanball ingredients in a bowl and mix together well.
- With floured hands take heaped teaspoon-fulls of the mixture and roll into golf-sized balls. The mixture will make about 20 beanballs.
- Place on a greased baking sheet and place in the oven for 15-20 mins.
To make the tomato pasta sauce:
- Heat the oil in a small pan, add the garlic and fry for a few seconds before adding the tomatoes.
- Add the stock and sugar then cook for 10 mins.