“A great dish for entertaining. It’s so easy to make but tastes like you’ve spent hours in the kitchen. Adding baked beans with benefits makes for a deliciously flavoured sauce which thickens the dish without the need for flour and butter. You could use ordinary pork sausages but venison is a good lower fat alternative with great flavour and provides a bit of luxury. Serve with a pile of fluffy mash and some greens.”
SERVES: 4 PREP TIME: 20 MINS COOKING TIME: 40 MINS
1 pot of baked beans with benefits
1 tblsp oil
8 venison sausages
120g bacon lardons
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
200ml white wine
1 bay leaf, 1 sprig thyme
200g button mushrooms
180g whole chestnuts (roasted & vacuum packed)
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the venison sausages. Brown on all sides and remove to a plate.
- Peel the shallots and keep whole.
- Brown the shallots and bacon lardons in the pan and then add the garlic.
- Pour in the wine, return the sausages to the pan and add the herbs. Season with pepper.
- Simmer for 20 mins.
- Cut the whole chestnuts in half and add to the pan with the mushrooms and pot of baked beans with benefits.
- Simmer for 15 mins then serve.