“I love roasted squash soup but when you add a pot of aromatic peas with perks it adds extra layers of flavour, texture and protein. The peas have a distinctive nutty flavour and combine beautifully with the sweetness of the squash. I’ve topped the soup with fried cavolo nero and my new favourite ingredient – smoked quinoa from Hodmedod’s.”
SERVES: 4 PREP TIME: 15 MINS COOKING TIME: 40 MINS
1 pot of aromatic peas with perks
1 butternut squash
2 tblsp oil
1 tsp chipotle paste
1 litre veg stock
50g smoked quinoa (cooked as per packet instructions)
Cavolo nero leaves, finely chopped and stir-fried in oil
Coriander leaves, toasted seeds, coconut yoghurt , chilli oil
- Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan/Gas Mark 6.
- Cut the butternut squash into chunks (leaving the skin on), coat with 1 tblsp oil and season with salt & pepper. Roast in the oven for 30 mins.
- When the squash is cool enough to handle, remove the skin.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large pan and add the onion. Saute gently for 5 mins. Add the chipotle paste, butternut squash and stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 mins.
- Blend the soup using a stick blender or in batches in a liquidiser.
- Return to the pan and add the aromatic peas with perks. Bring to the boil again.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with your favourite toppings.