“These burgers require little preparation and are a real treat to eat! Spicy, filling and flavoursome. Just add your favourite toppings and enjoy. The flaxseed and water combination is great for binding ingredients. It replaces the use of an egg. If you want to make these burgers gluten free check out Novo Farina. They have some brilliant products including crumbs made from pea flour which can be used for a breadcrumb substitute.”
SERVES: 4 PREP TIME: 20 MINS (CHILL TIME: 1 HR) COOKING TIME: 30 MINS
1 pot of aromatic peas with perks
50g brazil nuts, finely chopped
1 dessertspoon jerk seasoning (I used A De Piff Karamo Jerk Seasoning)
1 tblsp ground flaxseed & 3 tblsp water (or 1 egg)
Flour for dusting
Oil for brushing
- Start by combining the flaxseed and water. Let it sit until it gels.
- Mix the aromatic peas with perks, breadcrumbs, brazil nuts, jerk seasoning and flaxseed mixture. Mash some of the peas as you combine.
- Place in the fridge to firm up.
- Using floured hands form the mixture into 4 burgers (about 130g each).
- Dust with flour and place on a plate. Return to the fridge until needed.
- Preheat oven to 200c/Gas 6.
- Place burgers on an oiled baking sheet. Lightly brush the tops and sides with oil.
- Place in the oven for 30 mins, turning halfway through cooking time.