1 pot of carlin peas with perks
60g red split lentils, rinsed
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 tsp salt
100g frozen spinach
½ tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp black mustard seeds
¼ tsp crushed chilli flakes
2 tsp tomato puree
Optional toppings – coriander leaves, sliced red chilli
- Place the red lentils, onion, salt and water in a pan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Once the lentils are cooked add the carlin peas with perks and spinach.
- Bring to a simmer and heat for 5 mins.
- Heat the oil in a separate pan on a medium heat and add the spices. Fry for a few seconds then add the tomato puree. Stir to combine and add to the dal.
- Serve with naan, chapatis or rice. Garnish with coriander and sliced chilli.