“What is dhal (or dal)? It’s both an ingredient and a dish; it refers to a type of dried split pea or lentil and the spiced stew made from simmering the peas or lentils until soft. Warming, comforting and oh so easy to make. Try serving it with cauliflower rice.”
SERVES: 2 PREP TIME: 5 MINS COOKING TIME: 35 MINS
1 pot of carlin peas with perks
60g red split lentils, rinsed
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 tsp salt
100g frozen spinach
½ tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp black mustard seeds
¼ tsp crushed chilli flakes
2 tsp tomato puree
Optional toppings – coriander leaves, sliced red chilli
- Place the red lentils, onion, salt and water in a pan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Once the lentils are cooked add the carlin peas with perks and spinach.
- Bring to a simmer and heat for 5 mins.
- Heat the oil in a separate pan on a medium heat and add the spices. Fry for a few seconds then add the tomato puree. Stir to combine and add to the dal.
- Serve with naan, chapatis or rice. Garnish with coriander and sliced chilli.